Tax Requirement for Non-U.S. Citizen Creator 

Tax Requirement for Non-U.S. Citizen Creator 

ImagineVR does not withhold taxes on any of the sales it receives, and it is the responsibility of the creator to pay their income tax. Creators who live outside of the United States must comply with the U.S. tax code, since ImagineVR is a U.S.-based company. Non-U.S. resident creators must withhold 30 percent of payments made in the United States, and subsequently remit those payments to the U.S. government. However, that rule does not apply if the U.S. has an income tax treaty with the country in which the creator resides. Income tax treaties can allow for a tax rate lower than 30 percent for payments from the U.S. to foreign earners, or they can allow for such payments to be exempt entirely from U.S. taxation. The U.S. has income tax treaties with numerous countries.

 In order to exercise the benefits under the tax treaty, you will need to complete a Form W-8BEN and that requires either a foreign TIN or a US TIN.


Submitting a W-8BEN 

All creators who are not a US citizen, must submit a W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E in order to payout their funds. This form ensures that the IRS knows that earnings you make on ImagineVR/ImaginePLAY are not subject to US income tax. 
  • If you reside outside of the USA and are non-US citizen, please fill out  and send us back W-8BEN-E (For entities) OR W-8BEN (for Individual)

Your form should be sent to: with the following information:

  • Email Subject: Submitting W-8BEN
  • Your Creator Name
  • Your form attached
For detailed instructions on how to complete your W-8BEN form, we recommend reviewing:

Line 8. 

If you are providing this Form W-8BEN to document yourself with respect to a financial account that you hold with a U.S. office of a financial institution, provide your date of birth. Use the following format to input your information MM-DD-YYYY. For example, if you were born on April 15, 1956, you would enter 04-15-1956

What is the "Claim of Tax Treaty Benefits” section? 

If you are completing a W-8BEN form, you’ll have the option to answer the question "Are you claiming tax treaty benefits?” with a yes or no answer. If you answer “yes” here’s additional information for Line 9.

Line 9. 

If you are claiming treaty benefits as a resident of a foreign country with which the United States has an income tax treaty for payments subject to withholding under chapter 3, identify the country where you claim to be a resident for income tax treaty purposes. For treaty purposes, a person is a resident of a treaty country if the person is a resident of that country under the terms of the treaty. A list of U.S. tax treaties is available at

How do I apply for ITIN?


Please read IRS page on How do I apply for an ITIN?

We recommend you Apply for an ITIN in-person using the services of an IRS-authorized Certifying Acceptance Agent in your country. This will prevent you from having to mail your proof of identity and foreign status documents.
Acceptance Agent Program
Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.
Powered by Zendesk